Thursday, May 26, 2016

Orphans and Widows


Being a member of the Lords church carries a lot of responsibility. If you study your Bible you will find a lot of “thou shall and thou shall not” in it. I’m glad that information is there, God-breathed words that help guide me through my life. 



Sacred Selections
The past few months some friends and I have been working on a fundraising event for Sacred Selections, an organization that helps raise funds for adopting parents. We had so much fun preparing for the event and last Thursday evening the event took place. It was a blast and a success. Over 150 people came and donated over $20k. This is double the amount we were hoping to raise.

Working together with people I knew and some I never met until the night of the event created bonds that will never be broken. We all came together with one thought in mind… do it for the babies. 

The days following the event there was a “stillness and completeness” that I felt. This was a new emotion for me. I can’t ever remember having this calm. I can only assume this is the emotion that you feel when something wonderful has happened that has the hand of God on it. I know I want to feel that again. 

My calling is to help the widows and orphans. Think about that for a minute, widows and orphans, the beginning and the end of our lives here on earth. I know that all orphans are not babies, but by the standards of our laws, if you become responsible for yourself at age 18 then we are talking about children. If you are over 40 you can relate that we still feel like someone under 18 is a child. Who is a widow, any woman that has lost her husband? Unfortunately that is not always an older woman, but normally it is.

James 1:27
Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

Since God has specifically told us to take care of these groups of people then we should focus on that. I’m not sure yet how this is going to happen and what my actions will be in the future, but know somehow God is going to use me for this purpose. I couldn’t be happier. 

Have you found your purpose in life? Maybe you just moved into a new phase in life, your children are out of the house now and you have more time on your hands. Maybe you just started retirement and looking for a cause to volunteer your time and energy into. Let me urge you to look into doing the Lord’s work for orphans and widows.

May God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment