Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Wishing Your Life Away

Ok, raise your hand if you spend time wishing your life away. Good, now put them down. Both of mine were waving in the air. We all do it in one way or another.

I’m not talking about the child who is 14 waiting to be 15 so they can get their restricted drivers license, I’m talking about mature adults. That feeling inside of us that says when I do such and such I will be happy. Does that really mean that while we are in this certain place and time we are not happy? No, I don’t believe so.

If we don’t take time to daydream about moving further in our career or losing the weight or accomplishing the goal we have in front of us, we wouldn’t have any motivation.

 So how do we find a happy balance in life? Nope, you won’t find the answer here because I don’t have it. Besides saying live in the moment and look forward to tomorrow. I try to do that, it doesn’t always work for me. I think in some ways I may be a gypsy. Don’t laugh. My grandfather was born in Budapest, Hungry and there are a lot of gypsies there. They used to tell me as a child, “You better behave or the gypsies will come and take you away.” Let’s not even discuss how that affected my psyche.

There is this under lying feeling inside of me to move and change about every 10 years. It’s time and I am wrestling with it like someone wrestling a gator. Life would be better if we . . .

Every day I change my mind. My poor husband walks around confused, he is a very settled person. As long as everything is working smoothly, why change it. You know, I don’t have a good answer for him.

So I am working on this urge to change. There is no logical reason to make the change I am wrestling with except I think things would be better. Notice the real problem – “I think”.

God gave us life and wants us to enjoy it. So when I am wrestling with these times I go to the Bible and see what God has to tell me. I had to search really hard to find his response this time, but I think I found out what he wants me to do in 

1 Timothy 6:6
Now godliness with contentment is great gain.

God is telling me to be content where I am with what I have. I am pretty content and I am happy with what I have. But . . . What if? That nagging feeling is always there. Looks to me like I have some work to do.

All of this brings me to another aspect of the wrestling I do periodically – worry. The “what if’s” are really a worry issue. Oh no, that’s another problem for another post (smile).

Of course God tells us about that nasty little problem we have too.

Matthew 6:25“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?

So how many of you wrestle with wishing your life away? Let me know how you deal with the “what if’s” that drive you crazy.

May God Bless



No comments:

Post a Comment