Wednesday, May 18, 2016

God Forgives Sin

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

I am so glad that God forgives me of my sins. Where would I be if He didn’t? How do people who are nonbelievers live day to day? Do they think they don’t sin? I’m not sure and each of us has to decide that for ourselves. God gave us free will to make our own choices each day.

Understanding that God forgives me of my sins is really beyond my understanding. I mean, I read it in His word, mentally I comprehend what the Bible tells me, but emotionally it is sometimes hard to grasp. How can I be forgiven so easily?

Remembering back when my girls were growing up and they did something I was not happy with; I would reprimand them and then forgive them. They were children, still learning, but had to take the consequences for their actions. 

What consequences do I get for my wrong actions? Sometimes I wish God could talk to me directly and reprimand me, then hug me and tell me that He still loves me. There is sin that has obvious consequences and there are others that are not so obvious. We can sin in private or in public, but God sees all.


My concern is that we take sin lightly. Maybe it is not the sin we take lightly but the consequences of the sin. If no one sees me sin except God, then I can quietly go to Him and ask forgiveness. If my sin is public that is a little different. People will talk and spread rumors or gossip about me. That will hurt my feelings and people will think of me differently. We should be more worried about what God is thinking about me than what my peers are thinking about me. I’m afraid we have this concept a little backwards.
 

Also, have we become a little easy on sin? What I mean is do we go into situations that are questionable and then if we sin, we know in the back of our mind that God will forgive me so it will be OK. I wonder how God feels about that train of thought. “I’m just human so if I sin I’ll ask God to forgive me and it will be OK.”

We need to be careful that we don’t fall into this last category. Giving excuses for sin. Sin is sin my friend and we will all face God on judgment day. Do we want to take the chance for a moment’s pleasure, or bad language during an outburst of not getting into heaven? We must be on guard at all times against sin. 




1 John 2:1-2
My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father – Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 2. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole worlds.


May God Bless






No comments:

Post a Comment