Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Carrying Your Cross

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. 

Sometimes I forget this passage out of the Bible, most specifically when I am in the middle of being tempted. So what does being tempted look like?

Tempt:
1. to entice or allure to do something often regarded as unwise, wrong, or immoral.
2. To attract, appeal strongly to, or invite.
3. To render strongly disposed to do something.
4. To put (someone) to the test in a venturesome way; provoke.

I relate well with the definition above. When I am being tempted I feel a strong appeal or an allure to something. We all have our own cross to bear. Some crosses you see in people and some you don’t. Many of us have become very talented at hiding our cross, walking around as if we haven’t a care in the world.

If you are alive, you have a cross that you’re carrying with you. Some days it may be lighter than others, but it is always there, other days you can barely stand upright because your cross is so heavy. Sometimes others can carry our cross for us and give us a break, but most of the time our cross is ours and we can’t give it away to someone else to carry.

Jesus carried a cross. It was large, heavy and very painful for Him to carry with His open wounds after being beaten. Simon was able to take the heavy wooden cross from Jesus and carry it part of the way for Him. However, Jesus still had the burden (cross) of being crucified. Being crucified was not a cross He could hand off to someone else for a while. He had to deal with it Himself.

Right now my cross is heavy, I’m crawling. I have battled with my weight my whole life. It is my cross to bear. For the life of me I cannot get a handle on it. I have lost weight and gained weight, been up and down like a roller coaster. I enjoy cooking and enjoy eating what I cook. Hey, I’m a good cook.

I’m really blessed that I don’t have a lot of health issues due to my being overweight. Mentally this cross hurts, it always has. I can’t give this cross to anyone else to carry, this one is all mine. 


There is only one way I can get help with this and it is to draw upon God. I need to spend time with God several times a day to help me through this. I need to replace my lack of strength with God’s strength.


What cross are you carrying? Can you get help from others? No matter what it is remember, God is always there to help us. We just need to turn to Him. 

May God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment