Thursday, May 2, 2019

To Smudge or Not to Smudge

I just read an article (not my first) on cleaning the air in your home from positive ions. It appears we want negative ions in our home and in our life Almost sounds opposite doesn’t it? We normally want more positive in things in our lives, like positive feedback, positive thoughts and positive thinking. 

If you think smudging is just some kind of “woo woo” with no science to back it up, think again. Research published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology entitled Medicinal Smokes in 2006 found that burning smudge sticks has the ability to cleanse the surrounding air of harmful bacteria. The authors reported: “The most frequent medical indications for medicinal smoke are pulmonary (23.5%), neurological (21.8%) and dermatological (8.1%). A very large list of pathogenic bacteria was shown to be absent in an open room after a remarkable 30 days following treatment, leading the authors to conclude, “We have demonstrated that by using medicinal smoke it is possible to completely eliminate diverse plant and human pathogenic bacteria of the air within confined space.”

Interesting as it was, and I do not doubt the medicinal purposes of this herb, but questioning the mental aspect of it. The video I watched was an Indian man who was a healer, explaining how and why he does this ritual. It made me think of some of my rituals that I do or do not perform and why I do them.

This gentleman prayed to the “creator” while he was performing the ceremony. He did interject that you can pray to Jesus, God, Buddha or Mother Earth while you interacting with your smudge wand or bowl. Once again take out the scientific medicinal regards to affecting the ions and just concentrating on the cleansing power of our homes and lives, can’t I just do this throughout my home without the smoke?

What would happen if I started at the left of my front door and walked through out my house in a counter clockwise direction and requested from Jesus the same things. A calm and loving home, gentle words, loving hearts and peace within. What if I did this once a week or maybe at least once a month, would it help? Would it bring peace to my family and friends? Would they feel the peace in our home when they entered it? I don’t know!

I do know, God has the power to do anything He wants. If I ask God, as we are requested to do, He will give me what I need (not want).

Matthew 7:7 – Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

So I will leave it up to you whether you choose to smudge or not, either way, as for me and my house we will serve the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment