Thursday, March 15, 2018

Parenting

I believe parenting is getting more difficult for this generation of moms and dads. We live in an era where nothing is private. Social media in all forms catches our every moment on video.

We have smart houses, smart cars and smart phones that watch and listen to our every movement, word and deed. We can’t escape the eyes of those around us. If I think about it too much I get rather paranoid. 


Parents must discipline their children and teach them constantly. It is a never ending job. Some days I used to feel like a “correction officer”. All I seemed to say on those days was don’t do this or that, don’t hit your sister, don’t throw things, don’t eat that toy, pick up your toys, put that down it’s not a toy, etc. At night you go to bed and think “that was a rough day”.

Then there are other days that go smoothly. No one fights, everyone shares their toys and no one spills anything. You lay your head on the pillow at night and smile with love for your family.

Both of these examples are typical parenting and both of them wear you out.

God tells us how to parent and no where can I find that it is easy. 

Deuteronomy 6:6-7
“And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.” 

As children get older, it gets harder in a different way. You start to worry who they are spending their time with. Their activities get more involved and it takes a different amount of energy to handle their growing issues. While all this is happening, you are changing too. Men and women going through the change of life, and that can mean a variety of issues. Aging parents, teen hormones, physical changes in everybody and the needs keep coming. 

Through it all we have God’s word that tells us to diligently teach your children. In everything you do, your language, your actions, how you treat others and what you say has an impact on your children – no matter what their age is or yours. 

My children are grown, married, have children, have jobs, run their own homes and they are doing a fine job with all of it. However, my job is still not done. I’m still a parent and God’s words are still my direction.

What I do and how I react to life is still teaching my children. I’m helping them see when they get to where I am in life, their lives will be similar.

So as I go about my business today, I pray for my children and ask God for the guidance of raising adults.

A parent’s job is never done. 

May God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment