Thursday, January 25, 2018

Sober-Minded

1 Peter 1:13
Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;


While doing a bible study the other day I read verse 1 Peter 1:13 and wondered what does “sober-minded” really mean. We all know that it means don’t be drunk, but what else does it mean. 

The NKJV uses the term “sober” 11 times, 10 in the New Testament. So I started looking up the word and this is what I found. 




Strongs (3525)
  • To be calm and collected in spirit; to be temperate, dispassionate, circumspect.
HELPS Word-studies:
  • Properly, to be sober (not drunk), not intoxicated; (figuratively) free from illusion, i.e. from the intoxicating influences of sin (like the impact of selfish passion, greed, etc.).
  • Refers to having presence of mind (clear judgment), enabling someone to be termperate (self-controlled). “uninfluenced by intoxicants”) means to have “one’s wits (faculties) about them, “which is the opposite of being irrational.
Webster’s Dictionary:
  • Having a disposition or temper habitually sober.
Normally when I read this word sober I thought of “solemn” or “long faced”. A person who is always walking around with a drawn look on their face. I knew that couldn’t be right because that isn’t how God wants us to live. We should be happy and content as Christians. 

My personality is not solemn or long faced and sometimes I try and reign it in thinking that is not the way a “good Christian woman” would act like. I should be more serious. But no matter how much I try, I can’t contain myself sometimes. Laughing and entertaining people is what I like to do. When I make someone smile and laugh I feel like I have done some good in the world. Life is hard enough, let me make you laugh. Maybe that is a “gift” from God. (Yes, let’s just call it that so I don’t feel guilty.)😊

Bottom line I think the Bible is telling us to think clearly about things. Don’t cloud your mind with physical or mental things. I like the expression – “have one’s wits about them”.

So as we go about our daily comings and goings, think on things above. Think clearly and don’t get caught up in your own craziness in life. Let God lead you.

May God Bless.














No comments:

Post a Comment