Friday, January 12, 2018

Praying Loud


Sometimes my prayers are determined and outlined. Sometimes I find myself saying the same thing over and over again to God. Other times things are so off the cuff that I wonder if they make sense to God at all. Of course I know God understands my heart and what I am trying to say. 
Then there are those times that I am almost yelling at God to help me. I am at the end of my rope, dangling waiting to fall into the great abyss. Alas, He saves me. Then I feel quilt for not having patience or enough faith to be calm and collected when I approach my heavenly Father.

It’s during those times that I am reminded of Jesus crying out to his Father.

Hebrews 5:7 (NKJV)
7 who, in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His godly fear,
Vehement – I could understand this word in the context that it is used in this verse, but I really wanted to know what it meant. Here’s what I found.

The adjective VEHEMENT has 2 senses:
  • marked by extreme intensity of emotions or convictions; inclined to react violently; fervid
  • characterized by great force or energy
So Jesus wasn’t always calm during His prayers with His Father. Jesus was emotional. He cried out with extreme intensity and emotion. He reacted violently with His words to God the Father.

OK that makes me feel a little bit better. Jesus was human and felt all the emotions we feel. Somehow that gives me comfort. Hope it comforts you.

So don’t worry too much about how you pray, just pray.


May God Bless You

No comments:

Post a Comment