Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Church Lady

Wonder what popped into your mind when you read the title? When I hear the term “church lady” I think of Dana Carvey’s character on Saturday Night Live. That character cracks me up.

Really, when I think about a “church lady”, I picture an older woman, very serious looking – almost stern and of course she would be wearing a strand of pearls. Her collar would be buttoned up tight and her dress would be something matronly looking. Funny isn’t it what images we come up with certain words and phrases.

Going to services in our congregation I see all kinds of church ladies. Ladies with all different colors and lengths of hair, stylish clothing, all different ages and different sizes, and they all have one thing in common. Their willingness to meet together and worship God. Each one of them is different in their own way.

Let’s look at some of the women in the Bible.
  • Eve – the mother of all living persons
  • Woman at the well – sinful but searching
  • Mary Magdalene – a follower of Jesus
  • Esther – a queen
  • Ruth – a beloved mother-in-law
  • Jael – an ordinary woman who would kill
  • Deborah – a warrior princess

Which one of these women would you be able to pick out of a crowd? Each of these listed above could be any one of us.

Some of those women I worship with I know them very well. Others I just know their names and faces, then others I’m just getting to know.

I’m always amazed when I get to know someone new and there story of where they have been in their lives and how they came to find Christ. When I first started going to worship, I felt like everyone was better than me and I was a heathen that had so much to learn. Amazing to find out that at some point and time we all have been “at the beginning” of becoming a “church lady”.

So as you go through your week, think about how far you have come in your walk with Christ and what kind of “church lady” you are. Stop and say a special prayer this week for all the women in the church who trying their best to be like Christ in their own special way with the gifts that God has given them.

May God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment