Wednesday, June 29, 2016

At a Loss for Words

Have you ever been so down or so upset you just couldn’t find the words to pray? I have. I felt really bad about it too.

A few years when I found out I had cancer it was such a shock. I remember when when my doctor told me, he was felt so bad about telling me the news that I felt sorry for him. I was in shock. We never are really prepared for such news.

There were so many times I would sit down to pray and there was nothing – my mind was blank. I would get my Bible, turn off all outside noises like phone, TV, radio, dish washer, washer and dryer, sit in my favorite comfortable chair then try and pray. Nothing would come to mind. There were just no words I could find to say to God. I was at a loss for words.

I wasn’t made at God and never asked why me Lord. I was just empty. Like an empty cup of coffee. 

Romans 8:26
“… We do not know how to pray or what we should pray for, but the Holy Spirit prays to God for us with sounds that cannot be put into words.” 

Never before did this problem plague me. There were times in my life that I was angry with God and would question Him, but never empty. This emptiness was so new to me. My faith remained strong. I knew He was in control and I went through the motions of doing the good Christian thing going to Bible classes and services. I didn't break down in tears all the time. On the outside no one could see the difference, but inside nothing was happening.

Finally after several weeks of going through this numb feeling, I confided in a friend of mine. She just looked at me and said “that’s what your sisters in Christ are for, to pray for you when you can’t”. It was so simple, yet so profound. It took such a load off my mind and heart when she said those words to me. It was a light bulb moment for me. 

This is why it is so important for us Christians to stay connected with each other. Not only when we see each other at services, but getting together in each other’s homes and outside the building. When was the last time you had lunch with some of your girl friends or enjoyed a cup of coffee with a friend at your kitchen table?

Ladies I beg you to share your life with your sisters in Christ. You will benefit from opening up and sharing your thoughts and concerns.

Prayer on behalf of another person is a heart well tended.

May God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment