Wednesday, January 14, 2015

How Do I Pray?



The internet is a wonderful thing, but it is also daunting. What do you do when someone asks you to pray for them on Facebook?  It may be someone you know or someone you don’t know.

Prayer is powerful and we understand that God hears all prayers. I have always thought there is several different kinds of prayers. Remember this is my opinion.

  • Formal prayers are long thought out precisely worded. These may be in private or in a public setting.

  • Flash prayers are simple, just a few words. I mean God knows all so I don’t have to go into real detail for Him. These normally are the ones I use driving down the street or when you get a call asking for prayers for an individual or a situation.  


  • Heart felt prayers where you end up pouring your heart out to God and I normally end up in tears. These are gut wrenches for me, telling God all my problems, as if He didn’t know. Sometimes I use visualization with these prayers. No I do not know what God looks like and He does not speak to me except through His word, the Bible. But it helps me to see in my mind’s eye a man form of God that I can hand my problems to until His arms are filled and mine are empty. That is how I truly give things over to God.


  • General prayers, which are meaningful showing you care but more dutifully than heartfelt. This is normally for someone I do not really know, but I understand they are having troubles and need prayers on their behalf to let God know that we are thinking of this person.

  • Praise/Thankful prayers are normally incorporated into all my prayers in some manner. Thanking God for all the blessings He has bestowed upon me and my family. Sometimes these are a quick thank you for good news on someone recovering from and illness or I just received good news. Always give the glory to God.

 There may be other words that could be used to describe these prayers and it may be different for each one of us. The bottom line is that I do stop and pray and whatever form it takes, my Heavenly Father hears me and I am confident that He will do His will with these prayers of mine.

How do you pray? I would love to know and learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment