Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Holy - Holy - Holy



What a great word this is. I love the song too. Holy Holy Holy, Lord God almighty!

Can you ever be too holy? I know sometimes we say so and so has an attitude of being holier than thou. But do we really mean that, and exactly what does that mean to us?

If I was to say someone is holier than thou, I mean to say they are full of themselves or they think they are better than me.

According to Strong’s Concordance the word Holy means to be clean, purified or sanctified. Well this definition certainly is not the way I am using the word when I say someone is thinks they are holier than me. Once again the misuse of the English language.

Does going to church three times a week mean you are holy? Of course not. How you handle your life and all parts of it determine if you are holy or not. I am not sure we can ever be fully holy by the description above, but it is something we strive for on a daily basis.

My everyday life should show holiness in all my actions and deeds. Can I be acting holy all day long? Yes I can. As I do the dishes and let my mind wander I can be holy. My thoughts are holy and Christ like. I can dish up one of my flash prayers for one of my friends that I know is in need of an extra blessing. I can pray for the sick while I fold laundry. I can pray for my children while I mop the floor. I can thank God as I go through my daily chores around the house. Thank Him for the blessings He has bestowed upon me. Thank Him for the clothes to wash and fold and thank Him
for the house to clean.

Holy is a state of mind for us to work towards in our Christian walk in life.

I Thessalonians 4:3-8

3 It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; 4 that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable, 5 not in passionate lust like the pagans, who do not know God; 6 and that in this matter no one should wrong or take advantage of a brother or sister. The Lord will punish all those who commit such sins, as we told you and warned you before. 7 For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. 8 Therefore, anyone who rejects this instruction does not reject a human being but God, the very God who gives you his Holy Spirit.

In the verses above we are told that we can strive towards holiness. God did not call us to be impure and to take advantage of others, God called us to be pure and control ourselves.

Today I will control myself and my thoughts toward Godly things as I go throughout my day. How about you? Care to join me today in my walk towards holiness?

No comments:

Post a Comment