Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Are You Living in Fear?

Fear rules me sometimes. It can completely immobilize me doing things that need to be done.

Last week I was going to make plans to visit friends in another state. At the last minute I couldn’t book the flight. I was afraid. What if the plane crashed? What if there was a terrorist on the flight? What if . . kept me from having fun. This isn’t the first time this has happened to me.

I declined a paid trip to China through my work, because I was afraid. There have been several opportunities that I have let pass me by because of fear.

Fear can be negative -
  • I fear that bad things my happen.
  • I fear dying – mainly the pain I may have of dying. 
  • I fear leaving my children and grandchildren. 
My husband thinks it is sad that I leave in fear. Sometimes it can be funny. I can make up some of the craziest situations in my mind because of my fear. Being a writer that can be helpful. I can take just about any situation and come up with a plot for a book or at least a good chapter. 

Knowing that sometimes I carry irrational fears, I try and head them off with a lot of inside talk with myself. Logically I can reason through most of these episodes. When I can’t, sleep takes away my fear, at least temporarily.

Fear can be positive –
  • I also fear the Lord.

Luke 1:50
And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.


The Bible mentions fear 456 times. It’s an important topic. I realize there is a healthy fear and then there is the unhealthy fear. I have both as most of us do.

The Bible tells me to cleanse myself from filthiness of the flesh and spirit and to fear God. If I am full of fear of everyday things, then I can’t be filled with the fear (honor) of God.

2 Corinthians 7:1
Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.


At those times when unreasonable fear fills me, I must turn to God. Read His word and remember His promises. 

Luke 12:7
But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

I need to remember that no matter what happens in my life, God is protecting me. My fleshly body can cease to exist but my soul belongs to my Lord.

Try not to live your life in fear and when it does take over and consume you, reach out to God and pray. Peace will come to you through the Lord. 

May God Bless



No comments:

Post a Comment