Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Don't Block the Blessings

Are you a giver? Do you love to do things for others? 

  • Make some cookies and take them to someone, just because. 
  • Send a beautiful card to a friend just to make their day. 
  • Give that person you know is struggling with an issue a phone call so they know they are not alone. 
  • Visiting one of the elderly that you know spends a lot of time alone. 
The list can go on and on but these are some of the things a giver does. They try to meet others needs before they are known.

One characteristic about these givers, they normally don’t like to have the same thing done to them. When someone offers to do something for them, the response is normally something like “oh no I’m fine, thanks”. I’m sure there are all these physiological issues why they are like that, but I’m not a physiologist so I don’t know the answers. 

I tend to be a giver and my reason is simple. I like to make people happy. I enjoy doing something nice for someone and God tells me to give. There is nothing hard or confusing about that reasoning.

Acts 20:35
35 In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

Giving in a right spirit is an example of our love for Christ. We are to be Christ-like, that is what being a Christian means. When you give to someone you are showing your soul and belief system. 

So if you are a giver, be of good cheer, you are doing God’s work. But here is the catch. It you are not allowing yourself to be a receiver, then, uh-oh, you might be “blocking the blessings”.

We need to learn to how to accept good deeds from others also. Because guess what, they are trying to do God’s work also. If you say no to them, then you are “blocking the blessings” that God is trying to send your way. The person that is trying to help you, or be kind to you is doing their job.

So this week, if someone does something for you, just say “Thanks, that made my day” and keep moving.



No comments:

Post a Comment