Thursday, December 17, 2015

What's your Purpose?


Have you found your purpose in life? Can a person have more than one purpose at a time? Can your purpose in life change with the different seasons of your life?

I’ve been a little lost the past few years; have had a hard time determining what my purpose in life is. Yes, I’m a Christian, a wife, a mother . . . but what’s my purpose? How do I define myself?

God has a purpose for His children. We are to live a Christ like life. Praise God and serve others. If we live by God’s word, then we have a purpose.

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.


Knowing that I live my life in a Christ like manner gives me comfort, but I still find myself looking for a worldly purpose to define myself.

During my teen years and early 20’s it was all about me. Then I had my children and it was all about them. Making sure all their needs and desires were met and being the best I could as a single mom. I worked outside the home while I raised my daughters because I had to. My job defined who I was. As my career changed from job to job and I advanced in the working world, my position in the work placed defined who I was in my mind.

About 6 yrs ago we decided it was OK for me to stay home. I have less stress in my life and am able to enjoy my freedom now. However now that my daughters are grown and have blessed me with grand children and it is just my husband and I, how do I define myself now?

Sewing, cooking and crafting have been a pleasure for the last several years, and of course spending as much time as I can with my grand children. Although these are fun and great things to do, they didn’t give much definition or purpose. So I’ve felt a little lost for a title.

I was at my daughter’s house the other day and when I left my arms where full. A purple stuffed animal with a hole in the leg needed to be repaired, a karate Gi needed a patch sewn on it and one of the ties had come apart, and I had an order for a birthday cake decorated like a karate Gi. Not only were my arms full, but my heart was full. My purpose had been shown to me. I am my family’s support person.

Meme, grandma, mom, fixer, supporter and all around back up – that’s me and I like it. I’m happy with that title. There isn’t a group of people that report to me, the reports at the end of the month would show how my time was spent loving and caring for the ones I love, no yearly reviews and no amount of money in the world could give me this happiness.

Ecclesiastes 3:1
To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven.


Find your purpose for this time in your life. Enjoy it. It doesn’t matter what phase you are in, find a way to serve the Lord and the people around you, appreciate all that the Lord has done for you.

Be blessed my friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment