Wednesday, December 30, 2015

And…. It's Over


It’s almost over, another year completed. I don’t like New Year’s Eve. I find it depressing and sad. Even as child I can remember going into the bathroom at the Moose Lodge and crying. Auld Lang Syne makes me cry every time I hear it.

The sadness that comes with the end of the year, as with the end of anything, is bitter sweet. Remembering the events of the past year can depressing, things that didn’t go as you may have hoped they would, dear ones that have passed away, time just flying by and not accomplishing those goals that were set in the beginning of the year when it was new and fresh. Then the sweet – remembering the fun times, the beautiful events of the year, weddings, births, a new job or keeping those goals that were set in the beginning of the year. Have you ever really listened to the words of the song Auld (Old) Lang Syne?

This one night holds so much emotion, I find it hard to face, so normally I don’t.

Lying on the couch watching anything that doesn’t remind me of New Years Eve is normally how I spend mine. I wait until the ball drops in Time Square, shed a tear for whatever needs to be cried over, then go to bed.

January 1st comes a long and I am a different person. It is a fresh new beginning to life. I wake up happy, get my new calendar out and start updating all the birthdays and anniversaries of my family and friends. Do whatever I would like to do that day because I can conquer the world with my new frame of mind.

How can one night of sleep change me so much? Attitude – it’s all in the attitude. I know that inside of me but I still have to go through my crazy sad ritual. It is what gets me through that time of year. Just one nights worth of sleep. Eight hours (maybe) of one day of my year can change everything.

You know what else can change quickly?

Eternity. The Bible tells us Jesus will come like a thief in the night (fast and unexpected):

I Thessalonians 5:2
For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the the Lord so comes as a thief in the night.


Or like the twinkling of an eye:

I Corinthians 15:52
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 

Imagine what that will be like. In a second life will be over as we know it. Will you spend eternity in Heaven or Hell. It’s your choice.


Have a great New Years Eve, be careful and I’ll see you next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment