Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Avoid Temptation


What kind of friends do you keep? We all have “close friends”, “good friends” and “acquaintances”. Who do you really spend your time with?

We have TV, movies, radios, books and electronic devices that stream directly into our lives. Some days it feels like no matter what I look at, hear or read it contains information that I am pretty sure God would not approve of.

If you stay at home you may be tempted to have the TV on during the day. TV can be your best friend. Nothing wrong with that, but what are you watching? Are you filing your mind with good things, or worldly things? I enjoy TV, probably too much. If I get caught up in something good, I can spend hours in front of the TV. There is nothing really wrong with that, unless it is not wholesome and I’m not neglecting my duties in the home and family.

1 Corinthians 15:33
Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character”

Paul is writing a letter to the Corinthians and warning them about believing false prophets and what evil it can bring to them. My belief is that if God has lead Paul to write about it, then maybe I should listen and see how I can adapt the information to my life. What Paul is talking about pertains to everyone no matter how old you are.

If I spend my time watching TV, reading books or associating with people that are “of the world” then I need to be very careful. Worldly morals will slowly creep into my life before I become aware. It will be subtle at first, and then it will become an everyday occurrence. Before long I will no longer be putting Christ first in my life. My language will slip occasionally, or I will repeat something I heard or saw in a movie. I might think to myself, well it isn’t that bad, and listen further, or read further in the book instead of just walking away.

There is a saying, “there is nothing new under the sun”. I like this saying because it is true. Just like when our children come home from school singing a little song that we used to sing when we were their ages and we know we didn’t teach it to them. As they grow we realize they are facing the exact same challenges we did, they are just covered in different wrapping paper. Just as Paul spoke to the brethren back in Corinth, he speaks to us today.

Normally this subject is related to our young people, especially teens. They are so desperate for the approval of their peers that sometimes their thinking gets clouded. However, I find that everyone faces this during their life continually no matter what age they are, it seems to go in phases. Paul tells us how to deal with this problem.

1 Corinthians 15:58 

“Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain”

Instead of watching that show, movie or read the book that is questionable, do something for the Lord. Pray, write a card of encouragement, call someone and talk to them. I bet we will find others facing the same challenges as we do.

1 Peter 5:8
Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeing whom he may devour.

Satan is real and he is out there looking for those that follow Christ. Always be on the lookout for his works.

No comments:

Post a Comment