Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Tired of waiting?



Do you ever get tired of waiting? Our lives have become so busy and we are constantly running from one appointment to another all day long. Occasionally we have to wait and when that happens it seems to take forever. It doesn’t matter what we are waiting on, it still takes forever. Sitting in a doctor’s office is probably one of the hardest things to do. I think we have lost the art of patiently waiting, I know I have.
If I have more than a three minute wait I tend to take out my phone and start scanning emails or playing a game. If I am going somewhere that I know there will be a long wait I take a book. I see a lot of people doing the same. Of course now a day the kindle or tablet may be the item of choice. No matter what the situation is, waiting is difficult. There is an old saying “hurry up and wait”, not sure where it came from, but it is appropriate. 

 What is your attitude like when you have to wait? If I am prepared for the wait, like the doctor’s office then I’m normally content. Unexpected wait time – well, not always a good thing. I get so impatient, Mix a little bit of irritation, along with a lot of grumpy and you get a whole lot of not a happy camper.

So how do we handle these situations that no one enjoys? We look to God for answers. First I have quit praying for patients because I figure He will keep sending me tests until I get it right. So now I pray for understanding and courage. Especially if there are others around me that are evidently getting in the same mood as I am. I normally will try to diffuse the situation and bring the mood back to an even level. I try to remember that nobody is trying to create this situation on purpose. I’ll trying pointing out some options to the person next to me to show that it may not be the doctor’s fault. Maybe someone is really ill and they had to call the ambulance, or maybe one of the doctor’s in the group is out for an emergency and they are all trying to cover for the missing doctor. Either way, try and diffuse the situation. There is no good that can come from getting so upset in a situation that is beyond my control.

The longest wait we have is waiting on the Lord. Each day is another day that we can spend either being upset with a situation or embrace it and know that one day all our waiting will be over. 

Psalm 27:14 - Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

What have you been waiting for? Share some of your ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment