Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Scheduled Prayer Time



Busy Busy Busy, that is my life, as I am sure it is yours. I pray to God in some form every day. Sometimes they are just really fast zap prayers. If I am going through emails or Facebook and I see someone requesting prayers, I shot a quick one to God. Something divesting is reported on TV and up goes a prayer. Driving down the road and I see an accident, another short one to God.

Going through life sending God these one second prayers is a good thing. It reminds me that I have God on my side and keeps my mind focused on Him.

Romans 1:9
For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of His Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers.

When I am praying to God about my everyday small issues it makes me feel that I am praying with ceasing. I think this is what God was talking about in this verse. God should be with us always and on our mind.

Sometimes, I need to be formal with God. Carve out special times, shut out the world and really pour my heart out to my Heavenly Father. I don’t do these formal prayers as much as I should, but I believe that God knows my heart. That doesn’t mean I can use that as an excuse.

About three years ago my husband and I decided to pray together one night a week. I am proud of us for continuing that special time together. Every Tuesday evening at 8 pm, we turn off the TV, quite ourselves, sit together and hold hands and pray. We pray for our families, our friends, our elders, our deacons, our preacher and all the people we know that are hurting physically and emotionally. We ask God to continue to bless us, spiritually, emotionally and financially. We share with God and each other struggles that we are carrying on our hearts. Usually this takes about 15 minutes or sometimes it can take only 5 minutes. Either way, God can expect us around 8 pm on Tuesday evenings. Yes we have missed a few prayer times here and there. Things happen, life gets in the way and occasionally we just forget what day it is.

Not only has this time become special to us knowing we were going to speak with God, but it has brought my husband and I closer also. If one of us forgets, the other is the reminder. We can tell when an issue is bothering the other person, by the way they are praying, how emotional they get. Then this opens up time to share as husband and wife.

I highly recommend setting up some special time with your spouse or family to do some formal praying. You might be surprised at some of the subjects that are spoken about during these special times.

Share with me if you have special prayer times with your spouse of family.

No comments:

Post a Comment