Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Memorial Day

by Lillian Humphries

Memorial Day is next Monday, May 25th, 2015. How will you celebrate? Gather with family and friends for a picnic/cookout? Go to the beach or the lake? What memories can you pull from your memory file about Memorial Day?

When I was working and raising my two daughters, Memorial Day was a paid day off of work. A day I could sleep in. A day I could maybe catch up on some things around the house or finish a project.

I knew the real meaning of this special day. I would always stop and teach my children why we had a Memorial Day and to honor the men and women, who gave their lives for us and then go on with my plans. Maybe include a parade later in the evening. Who doesn’t love a parade?

The older you get the more you think about things. I think about things a lot, maybe sometimes too much. That can be another blog sometime. J During this upcoming weekend and the celebrations, I ask you to take a few minutes and ponder some thoughts.

Nothing is free in life. We live in the land of the “free and the brave” What is the “cost” for American freedom”?

  • American Revolution: 25,000 lives lost
  • War of 1812: 15,000 lives lost
  • Civil War: 750,000 lives lost
  • World War I : 116,516 lives lost
  • World War II : 405,399 lives lost
  • Vietnam War: 58,209 lives lost
  • War on Terror: 6,717 lives lost

Most likely there is not one of us who has not been touched by one or more of these lost lives. These numbers do not include those who were wounded physically or mentally by the search for our freedom.

There is one more statistic I would like us all to consider.

One life was given on the cross of Mt. Calvary. God’s only son, Jesus died for all of us. Jesus died so we could be free from “sin” and spend our life in eternity.

So this weekend during your festivities, remember those that gave their lives for our country, but also remember Jesus who gave His life so you can be free from sin.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment