Wednesday, September 23, 2015

I'm a worrier


Hi, my name is Lillian and I am a chronic worrier.

I think there should be weekly meetings for this addiction. I am not making fun of addictions, they should be taken seriously. I actually have a few, but those I’ll save for another day.

Yes, I am a worrier.



Here are some of the things I worry about:
  • My kids
  • My grand-kids
  • My husband
  • My health
  • My weight
  • My hair
  • The direction of our country
  • My church family
  • Am I good enough to get to Heaven?
  • What I watch
  • What I read
If I am in a full blown worry mood, I worry about how much I worry.

Now it’s out in the open, that’s me. I know I have some worrier friends out there and you know who you are.

My husband says I live in fear. I don’t know about that, but I am concerned about things. I think, a lot. Probably too much and that is what causes the worry. I have never been one of those people that just floats through life without a care. A good commercial about a third world country and pictures of children starving will get me going. Honestly, it does.

I know it isn’t good to be this consumed with worry. It isn’t good for my health, physical or mental.

One thing I want to point out is a worrier is not necessarily a sad person or a negative person. In fact I think I am basically a positive and happy person. A worrier just worries.

For me I know it comes from wanting to be in control of things. I like to know what is going on and what is going to happen next. Being a Christian makes this an internal battle for me. Knowing that God has told me through His word, the Bible, that He is control of all things.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

I believe that, however, the battle continues.

I will give God my worries and say, “OK, God, it is yours”. Then walk away and be content, until the next day or so. Then the worry comes back.

This worries me that I can’t give it to God and leave it there. So I work on this problem - a lot. With God, I know I can do anything.



We all have little idiosyncrasies to work on. So grab your Bible, use your concordance and look some up. Read those verses and see what God says about them.

Matthew 6:25
“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 



Luke 12:25

And which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?


Share some of your worries with me and how you handle them.





No comments:

Post a Comment